Helen Keller got it when she said that life is either a daring adventure, or nothing at all. She knew that security and safety are mere superstitions, and that they do not exist for the children of man. This is something I've done a lot of thinking about in the past 8 months since Tyler died. And since Nate left for Iraq, this notion of safety has been at the forefront of my mind in every moment. Ty's death could have made me afraid to live for fear that I would die (or afraid to allow those I love to live for fear of losing them). But what is the point of that? It could have made me live in constant anxiety for my soul mate who is spending a year in a war zone. It could have made me decide to be more careful, more timid, less inclined to take on adventures (not that being careful is a bad idea necessarily). But none of these things: being more careful, timid, afraid, anxious, stressed, worried or even planning better - none of these things will ever make me safer. None of them give me more control over Nate's safety. And none of them bring me closer to living a life that is a daring adventure. Thanks to my family for understanding and sharing this idea of life as a daring adventure, and to Nate for spurring me on to do the things that I fear the most. And thanks to you all for your constant prayers that hold me up daily!
8.21.2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
i agree. zach and i have had many conversations about not wanting to focus our lives on safety. it can become a consuming force behind decisions....
it definitely can consume. thanks to you guys for being so supportive. i had a great time seeing you this weekend and can't wait to hang out again soon.
Amen sista!
I have never known you to live life safely, Terah, nor have I known you to live in fear. I'm just glad nothing has changed. Go with God.
Post a Comment