It is settled. Military travel is officially the slowest in the world. Nate departed Phoenix at 7:15 am local time on Sunday, and I just received a phone call from him at 7:35 am (Phoenix time) - on Wednesday morning. He found an American with a cell phone and called me 10 minutes after making it to the Green Zone. That means it took him THREE DAYS to get from here to there. Poor guy is exhausted. He said something about having a hot meal. The three cheddar and proscuitto sandwhiched I made for the journey just weren't quite filling enough I guess. It's dinner time there, and we've actually heard that the food there is very good, so maybe he'll get a satsfying meal after days in desert airports with hundred of other uniformed men and women. It's hot in Baghdad today (like most days), and pretty hazy he said. I looked at Baghdad weather, and it seems like Baghdad weather is worse than Phoenix!! Hard to believe it's so hot and humid at the same time. I asked Nate what it looked like there, and he said he can't see much for all the concrete walls. Evidently the place where he will be living/working is well protected. I still don't have his address, but will get it in the next day I am sure.
5.09.2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
i am so glad he made it there, but i am sure he is ready to rest for a little bit! i bet the traveling he has done in the past somewhat prepared him for this trip. AND i bet living in Phoenix will help him get used to the weather quicker.
(i am trying to be the optimist here!)
I'm glad he made it there safely and was able to find a phone to call you!!! I bet it was good to hear his voice :)
I'm so glad you heard from him. Please keep us posted! I can't wait to see you when you hit Abilene.
Post a Comment